Modern technologies have completely changed our today’s world in comparison to yesterday’s one. We can debate a lot whether these changes are positive or negative, but there is one area where technologies have undoubtedly beneficial impact. This area is online education
. Student veterans can especially feel the advantages of the enhanced opportunities provided by online learning if they want to reach their higher education ambitions.
Online education is a core tool for a big-time career
We all know that the culture of higher education differs from the culture of the military or veterans education in a meaningful way. The keys to success in college or university for ex-soldiers students are to learn to navigate these differences smoothly, right from the very beginning. Dealing with people who are several years younger, adapting to new conditions, in-the-moment reading assignments, written essays, and final exams can be a real stress. The essays writing service may become a great solution for them. With distant learning, student veterans can study from any place – home or military base – and balance their family, work and classes schedules. In addition, U.S. colleges and universities provide constant assistance for military members to receive a high-quality education that will lead to a successful career. More and more centers offer remote and on-campus support for those students.
When student veterans decide to enroll for one of such online courses, they should follow the following rules to successfully finish it and get a certificate:
- Explore and apply for a suitable program;
- Once admitted, find a rhythm and stick to it;
- Manage the time and pay attention to deadlines;
- Contact regularly with professors.
Student Veterans of America (SVA), a famous non-profit organization that deals with higher education-related issues of military men of USA. The activity of SVA in the early 2000s led to drastic improvements in post-military educational matters. Namely, the US government has signed the document entitled Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This act assures that the students veterans will get funds to support the educational programs, tailored specifically for military veterans needs to pursue further learning. The benefits can be spread to family members of a veteran as well.
What benefits of online learning exist for student veterans?
- They can earn a degree online at very low-cost. Some veterans can even receive a free degree. The keys to success in being awarded a free degree are to apply and take accredited online courses. There are three sources of funding, such as the Montgomery GI Bill, the Post 9/11 GI Bill and Tuition Assistance. The Yellow Ribbon program, GI Bill Kicker, Tuition Assistance Top-Up, the Work Study Program, and Tutorial Assistance are supplemental funding programs.
- They can study at their own pace.
- Online education ensures a gentler transition to civilian life and flexibility.
- Online learning is also a key to success for former and current military members who aren’t ready for the traditional on-campus programs.
Despite mentioned student veterans education benefits, there are some weaknesses of distant learning. One of the biggest disadvantages of such education is a lack of face-to-face communication. In addition, some college services may not be available, such as career counseling services or student health services.
Sandra Hayward is a freelance writer at EduBirdie and an author of popular books. She has her own blog, where she writes about productivity, lifehacks, and about the ways on how to make work rather smarter, not harder. Most of all, Sandra loves traveling and believes that job fills the pocket, but adventures fill the soul.